Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hot Air Balloons Landing


Every year in Battle Creek we have a Hot Air Balloon Show. Always the 1st week in July. Every morning and evening they launch nearly a 100 or so balloons into the air. It's an awesome site to see, the sky dotted with colorful balloons all across the horizon. The city is crazy about the balloons. We have people who get in their cars and follow them to see if they can watch them land and help the crew. Their called "balloon chasers." My mom was a balloon chaser. She would get us up at 6am as they were launching and we would drive all over the city trying to catch one landing. We would help the crews land them, take down the balloons and eventually get a picture with the Pilate and a autograph.

On July 2nd my friend Joe Brown and I was walking down a road near our house watching a balloon land in someones yard when I noticed up the road, about a block, one was landing in my neighbors backyard. My neighbor wasn't home, he was at my house for my sons Joey's 11th birthday party. So I sprinted home and yelled "Chris, a balloon has landed in your backyard!" Puzzled he yelled back "What?" I repeated myself and he said "My backyard?" "Yes!" The whole party jumped up ran down the street to his house, dodging the crazy traffic of the balloon chasers. When we arrived at his home two more balloons had landed and then another 5 minutes later. Four balloons! It was awesome!


Joey with Pilate on his 11th birthday.


Chris taking pictures of the balloons in his yard.



I loved that I could share this moment with Chris, and with my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment