Thursday, March 7, 2019

We Sold The Property

As I pruse through these posts for our 20 acres in Northern Michigan I have mixed emotions.  I'm glad I made these posts because they bring me joy and it reminds me of the memories we've made here.  However, in September of 2017 we sold this property on a land contract and closed it this past summer of 2018.  We said fairwell.

Our reasons... Since we've moved to Jackson in 2013 our visits became less and less.  Curtis, my middle son, had only been up once or twice since we moved to Jackson.  Michael, our oldest, only a handful of times.  Joey, the youngest, was up often with us and it was always a joy to have there.  But, it wasn't bringing me the joy it once did.  Maybe it was because the boys are older and were visiting less.   As I thought about it, it simply wasn't worth paying a monthly payment, yearly taxes, owners fee, and spending serveal hundred dollors each visit for 3 or 4 visits a year.  So, I posted an add on Market Place and had multiple hits that week and sold it that very weekend.  I believe we had a hand shake on September 17, 2017 and signed a contract a week or so later.

I didn't know it was going to be my last visit and it was a beautiful weekend to be there.  Jen and I took the truck and trailer to clean out the cabin and shed to get it ready for viewings if it hadn't sold.  Our first visiters were excited, loved the place and wanted it.  As I closed the cabin up for the last time... I was closing the window by the sink and I cried.  I was alone.  Jen was in the car waiting as I was changing my cloths for the ride home.  This was a deep gut cry.  I hurt.  It felt like a death.  It had a bit of that same loss.  It was a loss of a dream.  It was time to let go and I was saying good by and farewell.

Getting that property was a miracle of God.  I could have never seen myself selling it back 2009.  But I felt like I was negelecting the place and my times up there without the boys weren't as much fun.

I'm thankful for the time we had there.  The weekends riding the trails, swiming in the lakes, deer hunting, making trails, shooting guns, bomb fires, cook outs and camping.  We've been caught in a snow storm and almost got stuck there.  We've seen black bear, elk and racoons.  I alwasy enjoyed the process of pumping water in our 55 gallon drums.  Hauling it all the way to the river and back.  I enjoyed the boys playing in the river.  Jen and I almost got lost hiking in the woods.  Hunts with friends and family.  I've stayed yearly by myself to pray and hear God.  Each visit had its own adventure.

Today I miss it.  I don't regret selling the property, but I miss it.  I miss the joy of the drive there.  The prayers on the highway and our well known stops on the way.  I miss most being there with my boys.  I used to want weekends there by myself, but looking back... the best moments was with my family.  I'm glad, thankful for our nine years there.

I still long for a place of my own.  A hide-a-way.  And place to get away.  I don't know if it has to be lots of land.  Maybe a lot on a lake where I can park a camper.  Maybe a small acre near stateland or trails.  Maybe...  If I do it again, I'd like it to be a place for family to be with me.  A place my daughter-in-laws, and future grandkids could enjoy.


For right now... I have my 1969 Shasta Starflyte.  I'll tow that around, camp and see what comes.  At the end of the day I don't really know what I want.  I know I desire a place to rest, an away place.  For this season I wait for what's next.  I trust God will reveal in His timing what's the next adventure.  That 20 acres was a God adventure.  It was a miracle in the buying and a blessing in the selling.  Thank you Father for my time at was a pleasant place.

No comments:

Post a Comment